Simple Writing System Express Course
"The Pint of Beer Challenge"
Lesson #1 - The Bar Conversation
You made it!
Welcome to your first lesson of the Simple Writing System Express Course "Pint of Beer Challenge."
I'm Lorrie Morgan. I'm going to be your coach for this mini-workshop.
I’ve been one of John’s go-to instructors since the beginning of this program. I’ll take good care of you.
Ready to rock?
Today’s lesson is one of my favorites.
You're going to lay the foundation upon which you will build the rest of your copy.
It doesn’t matter what you’re writing: ads, emails, blogs, sales letters, VSLs, social media posts, affiliate copy, webinars, presentations, white papers, phone scripts, whatever.
You’ll continually refer back to what you learn from this lesson today.
Not surprisingly, it starts with alcohol. (If you’re not a drinker, don’t worry, it works with coffee, too. You’ll get where we’re going with this…)
And with that, let's hear directly from John Carlton...
(Click on the image to watch the short video lesson below, and we'll talk again in a minute).
Insightful stuff, huh? Now let’s turn it back to you.
Here’s what I want you to do:
You've watched the video. (Go YOU!!!)
2. Now, think what your “perfect prospect” (who’s sitting next to you at this bar) would say.
3. Write or type that conversation.
4. Finally, look at the exercise posts below. I bet some of those will guide you to improve what you wrote. Never hesitate to toss what you've written when you have a chance to use something a successful, experienced professional can teach you.
Now, if you're a little stuck and drawing a blank, here are some questions to help you through this...
The key here is to get into their innermost thoughts and environment.
So go ahead, give it a go and write out what your prospect is dealing with below...
P.S. One of my specialties is how to sell to women. But when I write testosteronal copy, you’d be hard-pressed to find a single XX chromosome in my words. In fact, I recently finished writing for the survivalist and gun-owner markets. It’s all about building rapport with your market, no matter what gender they are. I got you covered!
Important note from your host, Stan Dahl.
When you've finished this exercise, you should find an email with Lesson #2 in your inbox.
In this mini version of The Simple Writing System, just like the full SWS Coaching Program, everything happens on your schedule, not ours.
My recommendation, based on what we've learned coaching over 1000 people through this program, is that you are probably going to get the most out of this training if you:
- 1Take a few moments to think about and type or handwrite what your ideal prospect said.
- 2The feedback Lorrie gave to others is down the page. Take time to review it. You will learn a TON watching Lorrie turn people just like you into better copywriters. (The live coaching has finished. More on that below).
- 3Then, with that extra coaching and understanding, open up Lesson #2, watch that video, and do that exercise.
I strongly suggest you watch this video and complete this exercise before moving on. Just like in the full Simple Writing System Coaching Program, these mini-lessons are in a specific order. They build on each other. Skipping ahead won’t help you in the long run.
However, if you want to move through the lessons more quickly and dive into Lesson #2 right away, go for it.
Look for an email from me in your inbox.
Free personal coaching has finished. Lorrie is now dedicating her time to the lucky action-takers who signed up for The Simple Writing System Coaching & Mentoring Program.
We've left this page here to help you. Below are dozens of examples of Lorrie's coaching.
If this page is live, there are still a few open spots. Get all you can out of these free lessons. If they helped make you a more effective copywriter (i.e., a salesman in print), join John & Lorrie in the full Simple Writing System.